Many of our protection dog owners keep indoor plants. Can some of these plants be hazardous to your protection dogs’ health? Yes! Many protection dog owners are unaware that some very common house plants can cause serious illness in a family protection dog. Below is a list of five common household plants that should not be in a home with a protection dog.
- Elephant Ear- Anytime this plant is chewed on or bitten crystals are released. When ingested, these crystals can irritate the mouth and gastrointestinal tract. In some cases, the airways can become swollen and make it very difficult for your family protection dog to breathe.
- Poinsettias- These plants have mild toxicity. When exposed to skin the sap can cause irritation swelling and itchiness to protection dogs.
- Iris- while iris plants are not likely to cause death in protection dogs they can cause issues if they are eaten or touched. warning sides to look for in your protection dog are lethargy, drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea.
- Tomatoes- Tomatoes by themselves are not harmful to your protection dog but the vines on which they grow are. These vines can cause severe gastrointestinal issues in family protection dogs.
- Aloe vera- while this plant is only mildly toxic to protection dogs when ingested it can irritate the intestine and cause dangerous electrolyte loss.